Sunday, February 7, 2010

moods

Contemplative moods are never good.

For me, at least. I become very withdrawn, melancholic, and I drink a lot of wine. But I think we all have those couple of days where we just need to take a step back and be broken down for a bit. Let us recover on our own and beat out the bad.

Something that helps is music. I love music. I love, love, love music. Living would not be the same without a tune in your head... and that being said, I am going to share with you all some of my favorite tunes--the melodies that keep me up and the voices that keep me calm...

Everywhere I Go by Lissie


This song was in the final episode of Dollhouse. For those of you who know me, you will know that I think Joss Whedon is a creative genius. Though some of you would disagree, I think what appeals to me about his work is that all of it is based on the underdog, and I relate. I relate to it very well. On an artistic level, I also think that he is a genuine master of breaking your heart. In that sense, he's an asshole. But I love him.

Your Rocky Spine - Great Lake Swimmers


This is a Canadian band based out of Toronto and this song is pretty much a love song written for Canada. The lead singer has a voice that is sort of haunting--he sounds like a ghost from the ocean, whispering in your ear--and the lyrics just make me grin. I do think that this country is beautiful and I'm obviously not the only one.

Cosmic Love - Florence and the Machine


My life is one big soundtrack. This song is one I listen to while I'm running. I run to this song because it pushes me forward, it's a song that makes me want to leave the bad behind and move on and head t'ward the light. It breaks my heart with its profoundly epic treatment of love. Enjoy.

Away Too Long - Kevin Fox


Kevin Fox is a Canadian cellist. I saw him open and play for Chantal Kreviazuk at the Richmond Hill Center for the Performing Arts last year, and I can say that he is an amazingly talented musician. And very cute as well! This song is something that I'd call a recovery song... I listen to when I need a little emotional pick-me-up.

To Ohio - The Low Anthem


The Low Anthem is another band I saw live. They opened for Rachael Yamagata (who I also adore). I have a thing for string instruments, especially violin and cello, and this band has plenty of cello. It's so soothing and smooth, comforting to the ear. This song is a part of my summer driving soundtrack and calms me right down.

Then She Appeared - XTC


This really should be "Then He Appeared," but I'll re-write this tune at a later point in my life. It's an upbeat little song that is perfect to strut to on a sunny day, walking around downtown or even, dare I say it, across campus. Music can totally change your mood and this is one of those songs. And Marilyn Monroe! What an awesome bad. We need to bring back a healthy size.

Everybody Wants to Rule the World - Tears for Fears


This is a wake-up song. It sets the mood for the day. Some people read self-help, I listen to motivational music to get my day going. It's not too hard and not too soft. Very much a montage-song and what can I say? I love myself a cheesey montage.

I'll end it now because if I don't, this post will get waaay too long for it's own good.
What are some of your favorite songs?
Lets start sharing some tunes.

No comments: