Friday, March 12, 2010

Reward Points - Let's Save!


I hate to shop, but I love to earn reward points.  It's something about knowing that my data is going through several processors and can predict what I'll buy and when in the future that causes me to get a little bit wet. ;)  What causes a waterfall of wetness is the actual earning of the points for such purchases.

As such, I'm on the hunt for what reward programs that you belong to and your thoughts on them.  

As for me, I belong to 3.

#1 - President Choice Points (aka PC points)

These are by far my favourite reward points to collect.  Why?  Cuz you can use them to buy groceries and receive 1% cash back on all your purchases used with their credit card.  Put everything on your credit card, earn points, and then buy groceries. Loblaws has gift cards for everybody at their stores, so you can use your points for essentially anything.  In the many years that I've been with this program, I've earned back thousands of dollars.  Join up with their banking and earn even more points and never pay a cent for deposits, cheques, etc.  

#2 - Air Miles

 I only joined a few weeks ago.  I know, I know...what an idiot!!!  I could've been earning points on so many purchases over the last many a years.  But I joined this one as I've installed a tool bar onto my browser and now can earn up to 30 points a month.  Woohoo!!!  No more 1 point per $20 purchase.  I just use the internet and get 30 points!!!  Hooray!!!  Google it, it's real and actually comes from Air Miles own website. 

Also, a great tip from my bf.  Go to the LCBO, look through the aisles and find the highest point getters. Yesterday, I got 7 points purchasing a pretty good 6 pack.  

#3 - Shopper's Drug Mart Points (aka Optimum Points)

I don't understand these points whatsoever.  I've had this stupid Optimum card for years and have never received anything back.  I've heard that you have to go on 50x points days, but how does one know when these are?  I only purchased stuff at this store once a month and I feel it's total rip.

Those are my 3 reward programs, which one's do you belong to?  What are your likes and hates about them?


1 comment:

Iris Liu said...

I'm also a shoppers optimum member and I'm actually receiving great benefits from it!

I don't even shop there often because I find it more expensive than let's say, Walmart. What I do is exactly what you mentioned, stock up on goods when they hold their promotional events. I find it's easy to grab what I need and easily make $50, simply because the place has everything from toiletries to make-up and snacks. In the end, I feel good knowing that I got the most out of my purchase. You'll find that your points will add up fairly quickly! You should update your shoppers optimum profile and sign up for emails: http://shoppersdrugmart.ca/english/optimum/update_profile/index.html
You'll be able to stay up to date with your points and receive notifications about promotions.

I'm also a shoppers optimum mastercard holder and you build your points way faster by using it! You receive twenty-five points per $1 spent at the store and five points when you use it elsewhere. But yeah, I doubt you need another credit card to spend your money away.