Sunday, December 13, 2009

A year of completion


So to celebrate the one year anniversary of Let's Be Vain, I have decided to chat about the year of completion for me.  Big changes have occurred in my life (most of them in the past month and a half).  And here it goes;
1) School - Well this is a major one.  Eight years it took me to get my undergraduate but I finished it.  Too be honest I never thought the day would come when I could say I am done university.  I started at Laurier back in 2001, such a long time ago, with high hopes and inspiration to stay in Waterloo for four years.  It turns out I didn't last past one year.  See the school was great, but the town sucked.  There was only one gay bar and it was lame.  On top of that I had a bf back in Toronto and the floor I was living on was full of 20 straight guys (well turns out at least one was gay...but he never came out to me).  Anyways I decided to move back to Toronto and go to U of T.  Unfortunately I didn't make the cut the first year, long story.  So I worked for a year and started at U of T in 2003 part time.  U of T turned out to be quite a challenge, especially working full time on top of it.  I failed two classes and barely pass many others and it just never seemed to end.  There were many points I thought of giving up and dropping out, but I got my act in gear and worked hard.  My marks improved and I started enjoying school again up to this last year.  I finished my last course on November 30th and couldn't be happier.  I know I will get a good mark and I ended on a high note.  I am proud to say I stuck with it and it paid off.
Relationships - In February I met a boy and we quickly started dating.  He seemed to be perfect for me and compliment me in every way.  We never argued and always enjoyed doing the same things.  As time rolled on, I realized that things that seem perfect rarely are.  What I realized is that we were both ignoring issues we had with each other and scared to confront them.  I was in that relationship for all the wrong reasons.  I was scared to be alone (really I have been in some type of relationship for the past 9 years).  I also realized that it is wrong to be with someone when you love someone else.  In the end back in November we broke up and I do hope that even though our relationship is over, one day we can be friends.
Family - Back in August a very important person to me (my grandma) lost her 5 year battle to colon cancer.  She put up an amazing fight and made it to 80.  She was one tough lady but had the biggest heart.  There was something about walking into her home, where you instantly felt like it was yours.  No matter who came over, she was there waiting with a smile, a hug and food.  The last eight months were tough, but I was fortunate enough to spend plenty of time by her bedside, watching her favourite shows, playing scrabble, watching her do her scratch and wins.  In the end she went peacefully and is now off wherever she is with my papa.  
All in all, it has been a year of completion.  Funny how it is also the end of one decade and the beginning of the next.  I hope that the 10's are just as exciting as the 0's were.

1 comment:

RGH said...

funny to see a whole year wrapped up in one post! I feel like you left so much out :P