Thursday, September 10, 2009


Whitney is back.

People have said her voice is not nearly what it used to be. Well obviously, 5 years of smoking crack will do that, but also she's 46. Singers voices change over time. Compare Mariah Carey's voice from the 90's to her current stuff and it doesn't even compare...and she's never even touched the crack.


Whitney's new album is good, not great. She's got a few fun songs (Call You Tonight, Like I Never Left, Million Dollar Bill are stand outs) and sure to have many remixes done. The thing with Whitney (current and past albums) is when she sings about love, cheatin' men, or various other personal struggles is that she FEELS it.


She was born in New Jersey (the armpit of America), dodged lesbian rumors her whole career, on-going drug and alcohol problems, Bobby Brown sleeping around on her, not to mention being an aging pop star...she's been through it all and that's what makes her relatable. On top of that she has THE VOICE

Here's my top Whitney tracks

Million Dollar Bill (Freemason's Mix) - a kick ass remix of the new single from "I Look To You"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nzKZJWIDyc


It's Not Right But It's Ok (remix) - quintessential dance floor anthem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VFzJLK51cs

How Will I Know - THIS is what the 80's were about!



I Wanna Dance with Somebody - 80's pop at its finest. Take note of the unintentionally hilarious video.



I Will Always Love You - this song gives me chills every time, no one will ever touch the greatness of her voice in this song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGC003Xz3CY

What are your thoughts? Do you hate her, love her, couldn't give a shit?

2 comments:

letsbevain said...

I haven't heard her album, I think it's getting a lot of undue hype. I think she's a great singer...but like 10 years ago or more.

"I Will Always Love You" - you want heartbreak, listen to Dolly Parton's version. Or watch 'Best Little Whorehouse in Texas' and see the meaning of the song in its true glory.

I think it's a great comeback story, but one that will quickly fizzle out.

RGH said...

there are plenty of singers (streisand, fitzgerald, sinatra, labelle) who keep their voices in shape and maintain the same range over decades.....listening to whitney hurts now b/c she was on the verge of becoming legendary :(


My fav houston tracks are the remix of I'm Your Baby Tonight and the original Queen of the Night :)