Thursday, September 17, 2009

My Trio of Mentors

Thus far in my life, I have had a trio of incredible mentors that have helped shaped me both professionally and personally.

All of them share similar qualities, but are also each very unique in their own way. 

My very first mentor has definitely been my Mom.  I wouldn't dare to call her Mother, as she hates this term.  Mom or Mommy, it is.   My Mom is probably the most generous individual that you will ever meet.  I have no idea how she finds the energy to get through each day.  She spends 12-16 hours a day working, raised a family of 3 children, supports friends, cares for my nephew and takes care of my ailing grandma and step grandfather. 

I'm trying to think of the last time that she's ever had a complaint about all that she does.  I can't.  My Mom's selflessness and workaholic spirit is something that I try my best to emulate.  When people think that I do a lot by working full time, going to school full time, doing the art projects, it doesn't really seem that much to me.  My Mom would work all day, come home and take her kids to dance lessons, swimming lessons, drama class, sport practices/games, and then return home to work until the early morning.  My Mom has also taught me the importance of family.  While you may not always like those that you're related to, you do have to love them.  We are also there to support one another, even if we don't always agree with the decision being made. 

In my mid teens, I came across my next mentor while working at summer camp.  She has remained My Boss ever since and we have a decade long working relationship that continues to get stronger each year.  She has literally seen me go from a quiet shy teenager to whomever you perceive me to be today.  She taught me that once you find your passion to pursue it full throttle.  She wakes up every day thrilled to go to work and has encouraged me to do the same.  Once, I lose the passion, it's time to move on and out. 

The way that I deal with customers is thanks to her.  We deal with a lot of complaints every day and she taught me long ago a very valuable lesson. You have two choices: laugh about it or let it bring you down.  We choose to laugh.  She has taught me that you need to be flexible to get through life.  You can plan, re-plan, have back up plans, but sometimes shit just happens.  You either deal with it or fall apart.  As you can see, My Boss likes to put things into simple categories of either see it positively or negatively. 

She believes very strongly in being yourself and shaping your job to fit this.  She has allowed me to alter my position, so that I'm still doing the core parts of the job, but have heavily expanded it to allow me to learn more, utilize my strengths and grow as a professional.  She has literally guided me and pushed me into doing things that I was very uncomfortable with, but that she knew that I would succeed at.

Finally, I have the Artist Mentor.  This individual I owe pretty much everything to who I am as an artist today.  We met 3 years ago as I happened to respond to a posting for a queer youth arts group.  Instantly, I connected well with her.  She is a positive supportive spirit, who allows you to develop as you please, but with a lot of input, feedback, and guidance towards the right direction.  What I really enjoy about her is that she is constantly challenging herself as an artist. 

Plus, she's an amazing facilitator.  It's a rare skill for somebody to be able to do both.  I remember first watching her perform after working on a group arts project and being like 'Awesome, she walks the talk.'  I had the opportunity to work closely with her on my first one person show.  That piece would never have been what it was without her continued guidance and support.  We never argued once, but I recall many great discussions around the pieces that were being created.  She will offer her advice, you're allowed to dialogue back, and then you go from there.  Since that experience, she's been a sounding board and consistent inspiration for the projects that I chose to work on and themes that I explore.  From her, I've learned that the greatest art that one can create has great truth to it. 

I have been extremely lucky to be surrounded by so many wonderful individuals, these three are just the key mentors thus far.

How about you?  Who has helped you?

No comments: