Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Hellllloooo.....testosterone!!!



I joined a hetero sports league.  I've played sports all my life, but left 'competitive' sports during my mid teens.  Why?  Cuz I realized that I just like playing and could care less about winning.  I decided to join this league to change up my routine and last night was our first game.

All's I can say is that the testosterone was in full effect!!!  I read the rules prior to the game and was thinking 'ugh, you can't do anything fun.'  It mentioned no contact, no smacking the ball out of the opponent's hand, and only sportsmanlike behaviour.  Which is fine and all, if everyone plays by these rules.

The opposing team was made up of unattractive, unsportsmanlike, and totally douche-y players.  They made up their own rules, got pissy if you called them out on it, and maybe offered a pass to their girl players on an occasion.

Now I must admit that I was set to beat down this one douche.  He kept knocking me and I wasn't having it.  Yes, yes, even I can let the testosterone rise in me.  When one of our players went head to head with another player, I was tres excited about a bench brawl.  One didn't occur, but imagine being kicked out of a league after one night.  I'd be sooo hardcore.

We have 5 more weeks and I'm intrigued to watch and see what happens.  I already see teammates getting frustrated with one another, which is pretty ridiculous.  It's a game, have fun, and you'll win.  I've been in recreation for over 10 years.  The team that wins is the one enjoying themselves.  Skill will take you to one level, camaraderie to the next.  Turn on each other, get frustrated, and you lose.

So my readers, what have you been doing lately to change up your routine?

No comments: