Thursday, January 14, 2010

SHORT POEMS


SHORT POEMS

By Philip Cairns

Copyright 2010 by Philip Cairns

1
I can’t shake your words.
They’ve been eating away inside of me,
Like molten lava.
I need to wash away these blues.

2
I may only write about the colour yellow
For the rest of my life.
What does it really matter,
One way or the other?

3
I’m hearing the sound of the ocean in Hawaii,
Warm and soothing,
Though I’m surrounded by dirty snow and bitter cold.
Do you blame me?

4
You are short and sweet and very sexy,
But you need to take care of yourself a bit more.
You enter my life like a split second ghost.
It’s a necessary thing.

5
Crystals and lovely trinkets hang from my kitchen window.
All the colours of the rainbow,
Or so it seems.
They put a tiny smile on my sour face.

6
It makes me irritable to walk outside when it rains,
All cold and sopping wet.
Best to hear it on a CD bought at a record store.
Turn it up to a reasonable volume and relax.

7
I like to watch children open their presents.
The delight on their faces is an infectious thing.
Would you like to be a child, once more?
Not for me, thanks.

8
Don’t know much about the life of Mahler.
His music can make you weep or feel wistful.
I wonder what goes on in the mind of a composer when he or she writes.
Their own little private concert.

9
Vanessa Redgrave was celibate for more than a decade.
That’s not my idea of a good time.
I hope she was happy.
Her artistry is as tall as the Eiffel Tower.

10
Gotta snap out of it.
Must return to the living.
Mercury Retrograde is a challenging place to be.
Three weeks of misunderstandings, 4 times a year.

11
Purple is an amazing colour.
It vibrates at a high frequency.
Spiritual and soft and almost a whisper.
It washes over me like a Tsunami.

No comments: