Friday, May 29, 2009

Who does it best?

One of the cool things about music is watching other artists cover one another. Some make it their own, others do a carbon copy, and some just butcher it to death.

I was listening to a mix cd that a friend had made for a road trip and was happy to listen to 'Crimson & Clover' sung by Dolly Parton. I've recently been playing Prince's cover of the same song on repeat. I took it to youtube to discover who else has laid their hands on this song.

There's Dolly's country-fied rendition:



Here's Prince's version that I find very chilled and funkified




I found one by Joan Jett and it's apparently one of her first videos:



The original was by Tommy James and The Shondelles



Four different artists, but essentially the song is kept true to its essence.

Who does it best???

1 comment:

RGH said...

I'm a big fan of the original and Prince always has a place in my heart, but the more I listen, the more Dolly's version becomes my favorite....I think she's probably the only person who's sung it who accurately identify what clover looks like :P