Monday, August 31, 2009

feel shitty, look pretty

About a month ago, I brought three random friends from three completely different worlds together for drinks. I was leaving in a few days and so I decided, why not? If they all have me in common, they should get along fine.

One of those friends was Thi-Ngoc, a girl that I met in my Post Colonial Canadian Lit course where the professor could never pronounce her name. And so in jest, I coined her "Trang Pak" and she dutifully bestowed upon me "Gretchen Weiners."

After not having spoken to these three friends in a while, we each took turns updating the group on our lives. Out of the four of us, three including myself were male, all of whom were going through some boy trouble--and Trang Pak, being the one who was happily single and not pathetic, imparted some friendly advice.

And the one thing I remember most? Is when she told me "When you feel shitty, look pretty." And I totally agree. It absolutely helps--and I find that I do it on occasion too. When I feel like shit, I look good to offset the crummy mood. And when I'm happy? Totally more relaxed about what I wear and how I should do my hair--sometimes I just wear hats--even though I hate hats because they make my head look really big. But I don't care!

So to all the readers of this blog, I want to share this wonderful piece of advice: "Feel shitty, look pretty!" And to make it even more effective? Tell yourself that you're hot when you look in the mirror. And don't rule out dancing naked in your room to MIKA or something. It just adds to the fun factor when you're trying to get out of a shlumpy mood.

1 comment:

letsbevain said...

It's odd, I have certainly had my shitty (moreso tiring) days lately, but haven't really worried about my looks in such a long time.

I think it's one of the joys of being single. I no longer feel the need to impress anybody (incl. myself :P)