Sunday, August 9, 2009

What would you do?


Hopefully you can read the above image, otherwise you won't quite grasp this post. :)

Essentially what has occurred is that an employee decided to vent after a shitty day about their boss. Forgetting that said boss is one of their facebook friends and would read it. The boss took it to heart and appears to have fired them before their probationary period was up.

Why would anybody add their boss to their facebook?? Maybe it's just me, but as a 'boss', I keep a very professional line w/ my employees. We don't go out for drinks, we don't hit movies, and I certainly don't add them to facebook, twitter, or other such sites.

This may seem harsh, but it's a reality of the work. Do I really want to catch you in a lie? Say you call in sick and then I go on facebook and see pics of you drunk the night before. This creates a conflict. Cuz now I know you're a liar. Now if you had called and said 'Sorry, I'm hungover.' I could let it pass for a one off, but if it happens consistently...then u're gone.

Now I think that the boss is going overboard firing somebody. Especially, cuz it's obviously a vent. She can still call him a pervert, just cuz you're gay, doesn't mean you can't perv on girlies. Sure, it's not the nicest way to find that your employees are pissed with you, but it's also feedback. I've often wondered how my employees really feel about me, as you can ask for feedback, but people don't want to hurt your feelings.

Personally, if I was her boss, I'd delete her from facebook, bring them into the office, ask about their comment and then just go back to our normal routine.

What would you do in this situation, if you were the boss?

No comments: