Monday, February 2, 2009

The Profile Site Saga (okay well, not so much a saga...)

I think it was last Monday, when I took the plunge into the personal profile realm again. A week later, I'm done.

I don't know how people stay on these things for weeks, months and even years. Maybe it's odd timing, but I'm pretty sure the people that were on these sites many a years ago - still are.

I took a different route this time around. Back in July, I was freshly out of a long term relationship and knew exactly what I wanted. I did a real lengthy-ish paragraph of precisely who this person was and wasn't going to accept any substitutes.

I went on a few dates, landed a pretty solid guy and made another really good friend out of the process. Unfortunately, 3 months in, I neglected my studies for the guy and then told the guy it had to end, so I could focus back on the studies. I'm not going to live with myself, if I let myself get 60s, so I can spend time with a dude. Tangent: After ending the relationship, I did pull myself up into the 80s for all 4 of my classes. GOOOOOOOO ME!

After ending that one, I told myself that I would wait until April. No longer did I want to hurt somebody, when I'm obviously too busy to focus on the time/effort that a relationship needs.

All of a sudden it's the end of January, I have 4 days off in a week (due to working 8, then 6 days in a row). I miss the feel and excitement of exploring a new relationship, meeting new people, and I dive into profile site land again.

Me in profile site land is kinda sad and scary though. I literally check the profile WAY too many times and I can, cuz I'm off and do all my schooling via the internet. I hit refresh after I send a message to await the msg that must be returned. I get excited when it says 'new message' and quickly check. I really enjoy the feature of 'viewed me' on one particularly site, cuz it's fun to see who's taken the time to click on your face.

A week later, I'm over it. The initial excitement has lost its lustre. I kinda took the passive route this time. Last time, I was a messaging whore. If I was into you, I wrote you, let you know, and then went from there. This time, I believe I said 'make the first move, I'll go from there.' I was slightly passive aggressive as I'd favourite some people who I was really into. ;)

Not sure if I'm just bored of the profile sites or just really happy with the few people that I've connected with. I could probably say that each one could be a potential mate or hopefully at least a friend. I don't understand why some people can't transfer feelings of 'please be mine' to 'okay, I can settle for a friend.' Would you rather have no contact or at least still have that person in your life? In most cases, a friendship will give you WAY more happy than a relationship ever will.

For now, the profile will stay up, cuz I think it deletes all your messages and it'd be mean, if some people don't get my replies to their messages. Let's say...Wednesday is take down day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hate online profile dating sites.

But I'm desperate, and who has time to go out and meet people these days?

hard enough as it is being a gay man.