Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Remix or Let it Ride...

So recently I have befriended someone who does things in a complete opposite way than I am used to.

I have always followed the adage of Margaret Cho "You never mix your new gay with your old gay. They're like Siamese Fighting Fish." It's odd cuz it's something that I have always been doing...I never even liked mixing my Smarties or Skittles together as a kid. I would always empty the package, sort them by colour, and then eat them accordingly. Keeping my circles of friends separate just like the Skittles colours seemed to be very logical.

My friend, however, is a mixer. He likes to take all the groups that he has and blend them all together, like they're each an ingredient in a sweet, thirst-quenching mojito. Without one ingredient, the drink just wouldn't taste the same.

I guess doing it this way you are always the star of the show.

You would be the common link between all, so it would always be like you were the host of the social party. But doesn't this create more drama?

Picture one group of gay/bi/trans friends and how each interact and how each person has their niche already carved out. Now throw in another group, just like that one. Will there not be clashing?

Will ANTM music start and the words "Wanna be on top?" start chiming through the gathering of people as they fend off people trying to "take their place"?

All these circles intertwining, are we not tempting fate to create "the perfect storm" of homosexual drama?

I guess by keeping everything segregated I am trying to limit the amount of chaos that could erupt in my face. Rivalries, diva egos clashing, sleeping around and trying then to avoid.

I'm just curious as to what others do?

Are a you mixer or not?

If so, how do you handle it?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

No comments: