Saturday, July 4, 2009

Promoting Disability!

Often times, my work, academics, and art collide together perfectly. This week is no different.

I am in the process of researching an essay for my equity and human rights course. The essay is on individuals with disabilities and employment opportunities. There is a huge untapped pool of intelligent individuals who are not receiving work in some part to the attitudes of those that are in the position of hiring. Instead of looking at the positive contributions, they may immediately jump to the negative start-up impact of accommodating someone with a disability. When no such impact may exist. I've read through about 20 journal papers so far and it's going to be a great paper. :)

At work and in life, I'm often reminded that I exist with an invisible disability. New encounters with people see that the topic may come up and it always seems to surprise them at first. Which is odd, cuz why can't somebody be like me and be hearing impaired? They try to find the hearing aids and it's like a game of 'where are they?' They sit in my ear canal, not exactly a place that people spend hours staring at. I'd hope that my eyes would lure them in, not a hole in the side of my head. :P

I'm producing a cabaret at Buddies in Bad Times on Monday August 24th featuring only artists that identify as queer and disabled. Not just queers, not just disabled, not allies. I think it's important that minorities within minorities be recognized. Especially a grouping that may be forgotten or over looked. The most interesting thing with this project is those that by law definitions and mine do classify as disabled who don't own that word. I'm certainly someone who sees myself as fitting into the mainstream, but I've also proposed shows that put it right out there, 'deaf, bi, and sick' - makes things pretty clear. ;) "Hard & Able: celebrating queer disability" will be on Monday August 24th. If you want to perform, let me know by July 10th at jay@ajaystewartproject.com.

At my work, we're presently taking accessible customer service training and it's a great initiative. Although, the training is a bit of a joke. If someone is blind do you: 1) point and say 'hey, it's just over there.', 2) 'pet their guide dog without permission' or 3) 'assist them as needed.' It's like saying is the sky 'blue', 'yellow', or 'maroon.' There should be some thought put into the training and trust, I've made my comments well known to those facilitating. :) Thankfully, I'll get to put 200 of my own staff through the training and make my own adjustments.

Secretly, this has been a life long passion of mine to remove the stigma of what disability represents. From the gr. 12 debate that had my opponent arguing the merits of sterilizing disabled individuals, where I crushed him and the entire class that was on his side.

To me, disability is a spectrum statement that covers such a vast amount of individuals. However, people still seem to see it as one thing: individuals incapable of taking care of themselves.

When I'd say a vast majority are strong empowering individuals that consistently demonstrate that the only limitations that exist are those that you put on them.

No comments: