Monday, November 16, 2009

Let's Create A Club Night...


I did it.  I went queer clubbing in TO again for first time since the Winter.  For the most part, I spent the evening complaining (yes, big surprise!) and I've decided that it's time to assist club promoters. 

With that, let's create an amazing club night.  Here are a few of my rules...what are yours?

1) No one under 25 - I know, it's age-ist, but this is my club night and why not have a queer night for us oldies? ;)

2) No purses on your person in the club.  You're dancing and buying liquor.  All you need is a money clip, once you get into the bar.  Stuff it in your bra or shoes, if you have no pockets. 

3) Songs that are over 10 years old may only be played between 10:30-11:30pm.  It's early in the night, so you expect to hear bad music.

4) This leads to the next rule that really popular songs may be played twice with a 90 min. break in between.

5) The DJ must dance.  I've determined that DJs play shitty music, because they don't dance.  There's no way you can play 'American Boy', if you dance.  This song is not dance-able.

6) Candy!!!  Can you imagine??  Seriously, I think more candy should be sold at a club. 

7) If you're buying 2 drinks, then no cover.  Purchase your drink tickets at the door and you slide by.  If you're playing it sober, $5.  If people are going to pay for your over priced booze, why not reward them with free entrance?

8) Line-ups only when the club is at capacity.  Making people stand outside when the bar is empty is pure bullshit.  Line-ups make people go somewhere else, it doesn't develop interest. 'Oh there's a 20 min. line-up, this place must be hot..we should totally line-up.'  Nope, they just walk elsewhere or go home.  Seriously.

9) Be personable and responsible.  If I'm running a club night, I'm going to be there. I'm going to interact with customers. I'm going to see how my night is doing.  If after 10 years of doing the same thing on the same evening with the same DJ and the same performer, I'm not seeing the place as packed as it used to be...I'm going to change things up.  I'm not going to do a cover charge increase to make up the difference.

10) Have fun.  Let's have odd theme nights.  Random prizes.  Spotlight dances. Show vintage Simpsons on screens throughout.

What are some things that you'd love to see in a club night?

4 comments:

Stone said...

The problem is that we are already too vain. More of us know how to shake our asses more than we know about stds. We shouldn't promote gay clubs. We should promote gay rights. I go clubbing all the time and spend over 140 bucks. I have since I was 26. I'd want the gay clubs to promote more than sex, but this isn't a utopia. Oh well. How about the clubs helping us promote equal rights along with the bowl of pretzels and (sometimes) condoms? Lets be vain? I think we've been and still are on that road.

www.Twitter.com/TweetwithStone

archnemeziz said...

25+ is a must (i know, im not 25 yet but i can't wait to be with just 25+ crowd). To Stone, do not forget that the gay rights movement didn't start in the streets, they started in the bars. While gay clubs may not promote "gay rights", they are places for us "gays" to explore and express ourselves and our sexualities. It's true that gay clubs should help promote rights because they don't really do much of that...but in terms of sexual expression, i think clubs become "safe havens" for that...

RGH said...

as someone who has earned plenty of scars and stripes via activism, sometimes I just wanna party. I'd be more excited t see clubs promote safer sex then equal rights.....time and place for everything.

1) no cover and free coat check

2) every club needs a decent stage

3) zero tolerance drug use that is actually enforced.

letsbevain said...

Can't we do it all Stone??

I can write an article on gay rights, or better yet continue to create events that support them, host online shows that discuss them, and still talk about clubbing. :)

Glad that even the youngsters are pushing for a 25+ club. Interesting.

Plus, I love that archnemeziz is super smart.

Zero tolerance on drug use, ESPECIALLY at all ages events. These youths can't drink and they'll enforce that, but they'll turn a blind eye to them snorting coke in the bathroom. How backwards is that?