Monday, November 30, 2009

Pet Peeve: Your voice mail recording!

Here's a thought, why don't we all realize that everybody knows what the purpose of a voice mail is?  You don't have to instruct me to leave my name, number and reason for calling.  It's almost 2010, the voice mail system has been around for awhile.                                                                                                                                                      I cringe just a little, when I call up a friend and have to wait a few minutes to leave a freakin' message.  It used to be easy enough to press '#' and you could skip it.  Now depending on which service provider that they've chosen, pressing '#' will ask you for the password to access the voice mail.  Please do us all a favour and just say your name and 'leave me a message' or 'hey, what's up?' and be done with it.

When I first had my own voice mail, I was creative.  I would play the current song that I enjoyed and had you dancing it up like Ellen. 

For awhile, I did this, 'If you're a family member of Jay's or a friend, please leave a message, if not, you can go fuck yourself.'

I forgot that work may call and a new boss called and received that message.  She laughed hysterically and played it on speakerphone for others to hear.  Thankfully, she was cool about it.

From that experience though, I did 'If you're a family member of Jay's or a friend, please leave a message, if not, (insert Jay speaking in professional phone operator voice) we're sorry but this message has been censored by Bell Canada.'  The amount of people who thought it was for real made for much amusement on my part.

Finally, I've stuck for many years with the following, 'Hey you've reached me, so leave me a message.'  If you don't know who me is, they usually don't leave a msg.  It's a perfect system.  I've never had a telemarketer leave a msg or anything.

So for those who think that I need to hear your first and last name with a note about how to leave a message and that you'll get back to me as soon as you can....well you can go...We're sorry but this message has been censored by blogspot.com.                                              

No comments: