Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Frustration with downtowners


Hey All,
So I am not usually one to bitch, but let me tell you, I had some pretty annoying things happen to me today and I am coming up with a top ten list of why I hate working downtown.  I realize everyone is in a hurry and has to get somewhere but seriously, you don't have to be such idiots.  I try to be aware of my surroundings when I am downtown and try to keep out of people's way but it is amazing how many people are oblivious to the world around them.  So here it goes.
10) The last thing I want to hear at 7:30 in the morning is techno beats coming from some girl who is probably still high and going to work.  Just because you are wearing earphones does not mean others can't hear what you are listening to.  Be nice and turn it down a notch.
9) Just because you are overweight does not mean I will give you a seat.  Don't stand there and scream to everyone on the streetcar that you need a seat because you can't stand.  Sitting in a seat all day is what got you fat in the first place.
8) Pedestrians have the right of way on a red.  Don't think because you are in a car you can come speeding down the road and make a right turn and pedestrians will stop.  You can get somewhere a lot faster then a person walking so let them cross the street.
7) If you see someone running towards an elevator, hold the door open, don't just do the signal of pretending to hold the open door when you are actually pushing close and then give a sad smile when the door closes in my face.
6) When walking in the underground, it should really be like driving.  People walking one way get one side while people walking the other way, well get the other side.  Just because you are walking with a large group does not mean you get to take up the whole hall and can just push people back.  
5) I realize that everyone walks at their own pace, but if you are going to walk a meter per hour, stay to the far corner so people can pass.  Nothing bothers me more then be stuck behind someone walking in zig zags slower then a snail.
4) Just because you have a friend waiting in line to buy food at a store, does not mean you and five others can bud in line.  I have no problem letting one in and that is a stretch.  I only get an hour for lunch and I don't need people stealing my lunch away because they can't wait their turn.
3) When you are sitting by yourself, find a table for two, not for six.  Don't throw your stuff all over the place and then tell me you are waiting for friends, when after twenty minutes I still see you sitting there reading a book all by yourself.  There is only so much sitting room and it is polite to share.
2) When you are on a streetcar, and you have to pass someone in elbow to elbow traffic please say excuse me when you need to pass, don't just shove.  One, I end up spilling my drink and two I almost trip or am pushed on those sitting in front of me or spill the drink I am holding on them and then am left embarrased and apologetic.
1) This is what annoys me most about working downtown.  When on an elevator there are two sides, one to walk and the other to stand.  Don't stand side by side and ride the elevator when there is a whole crowd waiting for you to pass by.  If you are going to stand, go up one stair and turn to talk to your friend.  You don't need to face them side by side.
So any other experiences from being or working downtown that piss you off?  Please share.  

No comments: