Sunday, March 8, 2009

Who needs sleep?



In high school, I was a complete insomniac. I think that it was due to everything after midnight was much more exciting. I had access to a computer, IRC, online communities, the fridge, music that I could freely dance around to. I would stay up until 4am and then go to school for 10am. My high school had lunch every period, so I would insist on first lunch and then I could sleep. :) Most days, I would skip 2nd period, so I could sleep some more.

During college, I kinda forgot about sleep. It was hard to fit in between school all week, placement for like 24 hours, and then another 24 hours with a part time job. Let's not forget the occasional social hang out plus whatever relationship was presently consuming my time. Yep, no time to sleep then.

For a year at my 'rents, I was getting plenty of sleep. I worked at 10am, lived 10 min. from work, and so if I stay up until 2, I could still get about 7 hours of sleep. I'd sleep in a bit on weekends on the occasion or just nap it up to catch up on some sleep.

I live alone now, it's quiet, like super quiet. Plus, I'm no longer in a basement. I've lived in basements for a large majority of my life. It's dark, like super dark down in them. No light comes in to wake one up at all. At my new place, I can't sleep in passed 8am most days. Usually, I'm up at 6:45 and then lie in bed telling myself that I'm not allowed out of bed until it's 8am. I usually defy me and get out around 7:15. Today I proudly slept in until 8:45, but only cuz of daylight savings.

I used to really love my sleep, I have fond memories of at some point enjoying sleeping in late and just lazying about all day. Now I wake up early, I have my oatmeal, dilly on the internet, watch Regis & Kelly, do some school work, do my yoga routine, have lunch, watch Family Feud, and then bounce off to work in the afternoon.

As BNL sings up top, 'Who needs sleep?'

1 comment:

Philip Cairns said...

I've had sleep problems my whole life. I really need 9 hours of sleep because I wake up every few hours. Sometimes I can get back to sleep. Other times, it is hard.
If I have to get up early, often I will have only a couple of hours of sleep. If I have to get up really early for work, such as 4 a.m., sometimes I will have 1 1/2 hours of sleep.
I usually have bad insomnia before the full moon. Then, on the night of the full moon, I am so tired, I will go to sleep at 8 pm.
Sleep is a big issue in my life.