Friday, April 10, 2009

It's time to Meet the Parents!

Alritey, so say you're one month into hanging out with somebody and you decide to introduce them to the parents. What would be your natural reaction?

For me, it's a state of calm and I'm not sure why. The last person that I introduced to my parents was after a full year of being with them. We were in love, committed, and so it felt right that my parents should finally meet him.

This time around, we've been hanging out for over a month and only officially dating as of earlier this week. It's Easter, I always escape to the cottage, so I figured that I'd just bring him along too. Everybody loves the cottage and an escape from the city is good for all. Plus, it's cheaper than driving to Montreal, paying for accommodations, food, gas, etc. ;)

Yep, I think I just admitted to choosing the cheaper option even though, it may cause some possible grief. I haven't really said much about him to my family. Well except for lying that he was 37 and super rich. To which my Dad exclaimed 'Ugh..you're only with him for his money.' This displaying that my Dad knows nothing about me as I don't do much older and never am with somebody for their $.

I think because things have been so casual that I'm not feeling any anxiety over our day at the cottage. Mostly, cuz I know my fam and they are pretty harmless and when not, I've warned him of what to beware of. My Dad called my ex Shamu for an entire weekend, cuz he thought it was hilarious. My ex coming from a family where people don't make fun of each other...did not! New guy has a pretty good sense of humour, though I'm a little excited to see what flaw Dad will pounce on. ;)

While on the outside this may seem like a 'big step', I don't feel it is. If anything, it's a chance for us to endure a mini road trip with each other, spend a day together, and see how that feels. I've got an upcoming cross country road trip and him many little trips out of province/country. Perhaps this will encourage us to spend some of those together or just continue on our current path of casual-ness.

Do you spend a lot of effort not introducing your relationships to the family? Is it a big step when you do so? Would you rather the family and partner never interact? Any disaster stories to share?

1 comment:

RGH said...

I have an epic disaster story from the one time I ever introduced my mom to someone I was dating. It's not fit to be posted here, but it's EPIC and is the reason I will think twice about inviting her to my wedding .