Saturday, June 6, 2009

Happinesss is a warm oven

Few things in life make me happier than cooking for someone else.

If it's family, friends, or a special someone, I plan the menu, wash the ingredients, and focus on putting positive energy into the meal I'm making. I try to make it colorful and visually arresting...bright yellow curry, hot pink salmon, ruby red tomatoes, dazzling green peas, crystalline ice cubes, dazzling purple onions, leafy sprouts, artfully arranged skewers. I like strong flavors....if I make you a ceasar salad, it'll be more garlicky than you're used to, if it's barbecue you can expect your food well-done, and if it's mexican, then go easy on the salsa!

Expressing feelings through food is my way of saying I care about you. I can't buy you jewellery or take you on vacation, but I can demonstrate how valuable you are in my life through this kind of appreciation. This has been true of many people for many years (the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, according to old wives), but I'll tell you a secret. I have found there is no better therapy than making a meal.

If you need to de-stress, if you are feeling blue, if you need to let go of some emotional or mental block, all you need to do is get out some recipe cards, and follow the instructions. Simple tasks where your hands do the work and your brain can let go: crack an egg, measure a half cup of sugar, slice a green pepper.

Try it and see!

1 comment:

letsbevain said...

Indeed a meal by RGH is a great experience. Thanks for dinner tonight!