Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Let's Talk Daddy!

Sorry, this won't be a discussion on how to get yourself a sugar daddy or dad/son fantasies or a pimp diddy. It's just a discussion on your Dad - biological/adopted/surrogate/etc.

This Sunday marks Father's Day and I'll be spending it with mine. I'm treating him to lunch and then a movie (Terminator or Star Trek). What will you be doing for your Dad?

I find that a lot of people, but especially queers seem to have strained relationships with their father. Is it the sexuality or the generation gap? I know that my Dad often states that his father would come home, read, and no one should bother him. His Mom took care of the household/children and that's just the way it was. My Pa does chores, knows how to cook and for a few years, he stayed home with us and took care of us to his best ability.

I've never really felt like I had that sitcom-y father figure per se. I had more of a buddy who had the ability to ground me. Usually it would be for a 10 year period, I'd stomp up to my room, and then half hour later, he'd arrive with candy and apologize for grounding me. Haha...my Mom was much better with the discipline.

As I've grown up, I've been able to relate better to my Dad and BEWARE, if we get started on any of our comedy routines. Nobody is safe from our ridicule and we continue to egg each other on with no regard for the fact that nobody else is laughing. :P

It's Father's Day this Sunday, so be sure to recognize it!

1 comment:

RGH said...

I will be sure to it's recognize it's sunday and that's all I will recognize :)