Monday, June 29, 2009

Value Village Rocks!


Today, I realized that I needed some new work polos and casual shorts. I thought about hitting the craptastic mall and seeing what Gap, Old Navy, Thrifty's, hell even Wal-mart might offer. But my late Spring attempts to find clothes at any of these stores gave me nothing. Especially Wal-mart, all of their men's clothes now are designed to hang low. Which is fine, if you like that style, but if you're more into work preppy styles, then wanksta stylings do you no good.

My Value Village though is perfect, cuz it offers you everything and anything. These 2 handsome lads in the pic above located themselves some awesome pimp coats for their pimping times. I was able to find 2 pairs of casual shorts, 2 polos, 2 pieces of random art, and a pair of blue exercise short shorts for only $31. 7 items for $31. Not my best Value Village bargain, but a damn good one at that.

I've used Value Village to supplement my work wardrobe, as all that I wear on 'me time' is t-shirts, jeans, and hoodies. These, I'll find a 'regular' store. Stupid work clothes that I loathe having to wear, I'll pick up for under $5 a piece at Value Village.

Doing a show and need a costume??? Check out this store. It's Halloween and you're broke??? Check out this store. Want to win first prize at your friend's 'Ugliest Sweater' party??? Check out this store.

My Mama hates that I buy clothes 2nd hand as she grew up having to shop at these types of stores or make her own clothes. Personally, I figure that it's a great way to reduce and reuse. Plus, you're unlikely to wear a shirt to work that six other people have already picked up at H&M.

What's your greatest Value Village find?

5 comments:

Rain said...

one time i was at the value village on landsdowne and bloor and picked up a shitload of boy pants that fit me, another time i found sky gilbert's play the emotionalist for like 75 cents.

Philip Cairns said...

I got an Armani trenchcoat, in perfect condition for $25 or $30. Got a London Fog trenchcoat, with zip-out lining, for $25. Got a fab long winter coat for $20.

I love Value Village. It's great for drag, too, if you're willing to spend the time. Got a fab black and silver gown for about #10.

Philip Cairns said...

Of course the last line should have read $10 not #10.

Philip Cairns said...

I also got a groovy teapot shaped like an old lady's head, with glasses on her face, for $2.99.

letsbevain said...

Great buys Philip and Rain!! I hit another one today and got 2 more shirts and another piece of art. 3 pieces of art in 24 hours...my art office starting to resemble a bit more of a creative space. :)