Monday, October 26, 2009

Does size really matter?

I am reading these articles for the class I TA for and I find the articles very interesting especially with regards to oppressive attitudes and practices against fat (gay) men. It is evident, according to one of the articles that fat-oppressive attitudes are prevalent amongst men and women who wish to be found attractive by men. I wanted to discuss the oppositional "bodies" in the gay community: that of the ideal type (e.g. "the muscle boy" based on Alvarez's book, i.e. "hard, naked, muscular body") versus that of bears and chubs. I'm going to keep this brief or else I'll end up writing an essay. According to Monaggan (2008), Bears engage in self-acceptance and promotion, promoting themselves as "real" or "naturally" masculine. On the other hand, the young, smooth, blond and gym-buffed are also promoting themselves as "masculine". I just wanted to interrogate this idea of "masculinity" and the apparent obsession of the gay community with it. Sissyphobia refers to the hatred or fear of effiminate men or "sissies" not only in the heterosexual society, but also in the gay community itself. So I wanted to ask, why the obsession with 'masculinity'?

The gay community comes in different shapes and sizes and I want to argue that we all have different preferences as to what we find attractive; but then again, the prevalence of the gym-buffed in gay media and visibly everywhere in the gay culture has it diminish all other "types" of bodies and have privileged the model type

No comments: