Friday, October 30, 2009

The Truth...


If you ask me for the truth, there's a good chance that you'll get it.  I have this (awful) ability to tell you exactly what I'm thinking and it's rarely sugar coated.

Unfortunately, nobody really wants to hear the truth.  The truth often hurts.  It hurts, cuz it usually confirms all the awful things that we already thought. 

The idea of the truth is interesting to me.  What's truthful is strictly from your perspective in that very moment?  If you ask me the same question on a different day, there's a good chance that you'll get a different response.  If I'm in a pissy mood, you'll get a pissy answer.  If I'm in a good space, then you'll probably get something more positive.

Ask me about your new haircut and I may rip it to bits.  It's change.  I don't always react well to change.  A few weeks later, after you've cried yourself to sleep for this period, I may see it and think 'wow...that's so freakin' hot.'

Does your partner need to know your every thought?  Will it make the relationship stronger or simply strained?  If you know it'll strain it or end things, is it better to keep the truth to yourself?  Mama always said, 'What you don't know, can't hurt you.'

I've learned lately that not everybody wants to hear my truth.  I can respect that.  I'm starting to wonder if the truth is really the way to go.  How would you feel if your source of truth became your source of lies?  What if everybody around you simply gave you the old 'smile and nod' when you asked if your abusive demeaning loser of a boyfriend was the one for you?

No comments: