Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I have genuine affection Stephen Harper

I have genuine affection for Stephen Harper.

Don't get me wrong now. Ideologically, I hate him. I hate even more now that I like him. Well, maybe not like, but begrudgingly respect.

Until now, I haven't thought he's done a single right or good thing since taking office.....seems to me that his ego, barely concealed right-wing politics, and blatant disregard for the Canadian people have done nothing but harm to the country. He seems to have no soul or no genuine emotion; hell, even Mulroney ('member him?) seemed to care every now and then. Stephen Harper looks and acts dead inside. Looking into his eyes as he sits for awkwardly-staged photo ops or delivers a life-less speech is like looking into the eyes of a salmon on ice at the supermarket.


Until now. When I heard that he performed a Beatles tune with Yo-Yo Ma at the National Arts Centre, I cringed. The same man who proudly proclaims that Canadians don't care about the arts (which presumably include things like music, piano lessons, and Yo-Yo freaking Ma)? Eff him.

And then I watched the video.

It's totally cute. Genuine. Humble. Sweet, even. For the first time ever, I'm not afraid or angry watching this man, and he brings a smile to my face. I even believe maybe he does get high with his friends. He keeps a decent sense of rhythm and pitch, and I hope that the other leaders follow suit. I want to hear Gilles Duceppe's take on "Hymne de l'amour" and Layton scat through "Orange-Colored Sky" and Ignatieff sing, well, anything as long as he fixes those dr. seuss-like eyebrows of his.

Playful Stephen Harper. Never thought I'd see the day.....and while he still doesn't have my vote, he def. has a little piece of my heart. UGH.





1 comment:

letsbevain said...

He looks creepy and dead throughout the entire thing. I wonder if Yo-Yo Ma supports his politics. Poo on Yo-Yo.

Mostly, I'm upset that Iggy didn't do something like this. Libs were up in the polls, now they're back down. Now they've 'humanized' Harper, though it's nowhere close to Clinton on Arsenio.

Iggy needs to get on Letterman, cop to fucking his interns too, and then belt out a tune w/ Schaffer. :)