Monday, October 5, 2009

The LSAT Experience...


Soooooooooooooo, I turned to the dark side.  I took an institutionalized standardized academic test and I'm letting you all know about it.

I don't think I've ever taken a standardized test.  My Mom is firmly against the gifted program and so I didn't take it in gr. 3.  She doesn't feel that people are gifted, they just think differently.  My sis got to take it and she was apparently on the path for gifted-ness, but then Mama shut 'er down.  I came along and she wanted no part in it.  My bro apparently took some iq tests as he was SPED in school and it demonstrated that he's super smart.  Nothing for me though.  I guess I'm just possibly dumb Jay. ;)

Back in June, I went on a date with a lawyer.  It didn't work out passed date 3, but it did get me thinking about law school.  Growing up, I was going to be the lawyer, then I discovered how much school it took and decided that it wasn't for me.  Fast forward 10 years and I've already done 3 full time years and 3 part time years to gain a diploma and almost a degree.  What's another 3 years?  Plus, I just spent a week out West (oh another blog posting to come...) checking out campuses and it seems like fun.  Yes, 3 years of law school seems like fun to me. :P

Sadly to get into law school, you gotta pass this silly standardized LSAT.  It tests logical thinking, but asks nothing about lawyer-ing stuff.  I'd rather do that, but I guess you do that after law school at the bar exam.

Either way, I kinda studied for it and I doubt that I did very well.  Doing it for real is way different than doing it in your trunks shirtless casually laid out on your futon, while timing down the minutes using your oven timer. 

In reality, you're in a room with 200 people, in jeans and sweating like crazy in your hoodie.  The guy beside you is tapping his pencil, the gal behind you is kickin her leg passed your head and every few seconds, somebody leaves the space to go to the washroom.  Which makes you think, well shit, I need to piss too.  But I can't piss.  If I piss, I lose time.  There's only 35 min. per section. Can't piss, must focus. But I'm not focusing, I'm thinking about pissing.  Focus, focus, focus.  90 min. later you get a break and you run to the washroom.

The actual test ain't so bad, joys of standardized is that you can study, but not really study for it.  You have an idea of what they're looking for.  But if you don't study the stuff that you get wrong all the time, you're liable to make the same mistakes.

Post LSAT and not feeling comfortable, I've already dropped a grand on a Kaplan prep course.  The initial diagnostic score was super sad.  I'm only 30% smarter than others.  I need to be 80% smarter or more to get into the ol' law schools.  The class should be fun, I like knowledge and such.  Plus the online component is sweet and I love online stuff. :)  Plus, I'm kinda crushing on the instructor.  He's geek cute, not cute cute.  But if I get extra attention, it'll be worth it. :)

1 comment:

Law School Podcaster said...

In terms of your LSAT preparation, I also want to invite you to listen to the podcast we just posted

www.lawschoolpodcaster.com