Sunday, January 18, 2009

Can you think of a moment that defines you?





I came along this video today and it's freaking Carlton from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air. The nerdy guy that Will always made fun of. The guy who went on to...well nothing of any substance. While, Will went onto much fame, fortune, and some more fortune.

This kid seems pretty cool, he's got all the dance moves, Michael Jackson like style, and yet, he grew up to be an actor that probably was type cast as the loser geek for the rest of his life. Why? Because, that's all that we saw him as due to a memorable role on a popular sitcom for a number of years.

It made me wonder, what moments are there that defined me?

As a worker, I've been in the same field and location for almost 10 years. The position duties change over time, but at its core, it's all the same. Plus, since my first year, I was the calm one, the one who everybody else can turn to, the responsible one. I continue in this role, even though sometimes, it'd be fun to be the one who flips out, yells, and fucks up.

As a person, I'm still an extremist. Shy, yet talkative - once comfortable. Sarcastic to the max. Serious, when I think it's right. No real definitive moment on this one...I think personality is just static.

As an artist recently, my first performance at Queer Cab has defined my work. I did a sexual chair fucking routine with spoken word. It went over really well. A few years later, I'm still sexual, still spoken word, just added some beats to assist with chair fucking routines.

Dig into your life and figure out some defining moments that have shaped you for better or worse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The first time I ever spoke about being gay in front of a group of high school students. I was scared out of my mind, but once I started speaking, I became so happy. I was happy about being gay, and happy about myself, and happy that I was able to speak out about it--speak out for all of those who never got a chance too.