Friday, January 23, 2009

Confession: I love the whorehouse!


If you've never heard of it, you were obviously not born in the 80's. If you've never seen it, you're missing out on a true delight.

The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas is pure nostalgia for me. I've probably watched this film from age 5 and onwards way over 250 times. I've listened to the soundtrack (on record and cd) way more than that. It's really that great!!!

It's the story of Dolly Parton who runs a whorehouse and is named Miss Mona and Burt Reynolds as Sheriff Ed Earl.

Everything is running smoothly at the chicken ranch (aka whorehouse) until a local cable news guy exposes it and gets everybody all up in arms.


Now that's the serious stuff, the rest of the time there's dancing boys and girls (and naked!), great songs, and lot of messing around. This is actually the film that features 'I Will Always Love You' by Dolly Parton way before Whitney turned it into a over sung power ballad.

I've no clue how I even started watching this movie. All I remember is that my Mom used to fast forward passed the parts with nudity. My sister and I used to go down to her friend's house and her parents would let us watch the naked parts there. After awhile, my Mom just gave up and we were exposed to it all.

I had this film on Beta for a number of years and it was a kind of tradition for those that would come to my cottage for the first time. They'd have to watch it (and He-man X-mas) on Beta and nobody's ever hated it. It's just good campy fun with great music. You ever get to see Burt Reynolds belt out a tune. Sadly, a flood destroyed the copy this last April.

I strongly recommend everybody check it out. If you've seen it, please share your thoughts on it. If you haven't, what's holding yah back?

2 comments:

Philip Cairns said...

One of my favourite actresses, Lois Nettleton, is in "Whorehouse". She has a small part. She's done some great work, over the years, in film and TV. In fact, Lois had quite an amazing career for someone who never became a star. She died one year ago at the age of 80.

Philip Cairns said...

I love Charles Durning's big production number. He's very nimble for a big guy.