Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I guess bigger is better...


I tried, I swear that I really tried. It just didn't work out. For once, I went for the smaller sized and thought it'd work out well. Sure, it was a little different and not quite what I wanted, but I really wanted to give the smaller one a chance. In the end, it just didn't work out. The smaller size just didn't fit. I had to cut it loose and hit up the bigger size.

That's right, I went for a smaller internet company and it failed drastically.

Recently, I moved into a new place and was looking around for good internet deals. I did some online research and found a company called 'Acanac.' They had DSL for only 18.95 a month including taxes. I thought 'hoor-ah' - who needs the big guys (rogers/bell), when you can get great service at a reasonable price.

I was wrong, wrong, wrong! You see, the little guy has to feed off the tit of the big guy. Soooo, Acanac hires Bell technicians to come and install the service into your home. The trouble is that Bell sucks hard and either just doesn't care about customers or especially doesn't care about a smaller company's customers.

I was called by Acanac on Dec. 22nd to inform me that a Bell technician would arrive between 8-5pm (possibly even 8pm) on Dec. 24th. I wait around until 8:30 to nothing... I miss X-mas eve dinner for first time in entire life. I am sad.

I call and complain and get a Bell technician booked for Dec. 27th from 9-5pm. I have the television screen on in my front lobby. This time, I ain't missing nobody. I wait and nothing. I am pissed.

I write in to cancel my service get told that I have to call into the office after the holidays.

I go away on vacation, I return, I call in. I get told that I must email them to cancel a service. How does one cancel an internet service by e-mail with no service??? What an excellent question. I asked them too and they said that they require written confirmation. Thankfully, I'm at work and I sent in a notice.

I promptly visited the Rogers kiosk at my local mall, waited 1 hour, and walked out with portable internet. You see, you don't need to wait for anybody with portable internet. You just plug it in and it works, in various places across Canada. I take it home, expecting it not to work, but my friends, it does and I am pleased.

While I tried going after the little guy, I am pleased to announce that the big one's always make me much happier. :)