Thursday, January 22, 2009


Hey All,
Well it has been ages since I have written, so I thought it was time.  I actually think this is my first one this year.  Anyways this is all about the dreaded interview.  Ok I am sure I am not alone here, but going to an interview sucks.  I mean I am all good at putting on a show, but the whole anticipation before and after is dreadful.  I don't know about you, but I get the cramp in the stomach, the sweaty palms, shake nervously and my voice changes pitches throughout.  You go in, knowing nothing about them and really they know nothing about you and you have 45 minutes to prove you are the right person for the job.  They always ask you the same stupid questions, name three strengths/weaknesses, name a time you helped solve a difficult situation.  I suck at giving answers.  Put me on the job and I can show you how good I am.  Give me a one week trial along with the other interviewees and I can prove that I am the right person.  I have gone on three interviews this year, two for the same job and didn't get it.  It was quite disheartening.  I was told I was too junior.  
Now the job was going to be almost 20,000 more then what I make now, and I really didn't have the experience, but it hurts to get rejected.  I think I am a nice guy, a hard worker, and a quick learner, in more ways then one.  ; )  I don't have the financial background in education but I do have almost five years accounting training.  Oh well, the funny thing is I am not that unhappy with my job.  Yeah I do complain about it, but at least I am not getting laid off like the thousands of others during this time.  It pays ok, I get benefits, three weeks vacation and enjoy the people I work with.  The job itself has its ups and downs.  And the thing is I have a plan.  I am graduating in five months, and going off over seas in less then a year.  So why am I looking for another job.  Well hey if I can make more money for the next eleven months, have more vacation and more experience why not.  I have my second interview for the second job tomorrow.
So my question is how do you like interviews?  How do you deal with them?  Should I take this job if I get it or stay?

2 comments:

RGH said...

I don't like them, I always sell myself too hard!


I try and tell myself the job is already mine, I just need to prove it to them :P

letsbevain said...

I love interviews. I do them weekly or if not more often.

I find myself to be very relaxed, funny, and engaging.

I'm the interviewer thou...so this could explain why. :)~