Wednesday, December 24, 2008

I'll only come, if I know who's coming...


Admit it, if you have facebook, you check out who's going to an event. Now further admit that based on the attractiveness of the collective, this has been a deciding factor about attending said event.

While facebook is great for marketing, it's also horrible for this reason alone. Is it my fault if my event doesn't draw anybody that you want to fuck? You know, there's great potential that somebody will just randomly show up and they will be very much fuckable.

A recent private invite to a dinner party hasn't allowed me the opportunity to see the guest list. Alas, it's not a facebook event. Questions to the host as to the guest list have been unanswered. It appears that everybody is asking the same question of him. Why do we have this need to know?

For me, it's simple. I'm not good in large crowds of people, where intimate conversation can't be had. Put me on a stage in front of thousands and I can do my thing. I can strut, speak, and sex it up. Put me in a room full of a strangers and watch me cower in the corner huddled in the fetal position. :)

So when I get invited to an event, I like to know how many allies that I will have there. Plus, I like to know total number of people. A party of no more than 6 means an opportunity to engage in real conversation with others. I hate questions of 'where do u work?', 'what school do u go to?', and 'where'd u grow up?' I much prefer to engage about current events, your life's present purpose and favourite sexual positions. ;)

What about you? Do you need to know what's going on at a party or can you just show up? Have you ever only gone to a party cuz you knew some ppl, but didn't like the host?

2 comments:

k i s m e t said...

I usually am scared shitless to go to events by myself, but usually there is someone I know.
Also, the only reason I also would like to see who's on the invite list and who RSVPd is, I want to know who to avoid when I get there (if I decide to actually attend the event).
I think, being in the know (in general) is important into surviving social interactions and the social scene.

Philip Cairns said...

I love the movie "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?" I first saw it when it came out in 1967 even though I wasn't born, yet. It has a great cast and a pretty good script for the time. It is an enjoyable comedy. I love the actress, Beah Richards, who plays Sidney Poitier's mother. She is wonderful. And Katharine Hepburn is always great to watch, as is Spencer Tracy.
I know your post was not about that movie. But the pic you used is from that flick.